General Oscar Albayalde said on Monday he was stepping down as chief of the Philippine National Police weeks before his scheduled retirement on November 8.
Albayalde announced he would go on a “non-duty status” effective today until his retirement on Nov. 8.
“After careful thought and deliberation, I have come to the decision to relinquish my post as Chief PNP (Philippine National Police) effective today (Monday) and go on a non-duty status,” Albayalde said during the regular Monday flag-raising ceremony at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
According to Albayalde, he had already submitted his letter of intent to Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año, which he accepted and endorsed to the President.
“My last command as your Chief, PNP, is to carry on in the service of our fellow Filipinos sa that all of us may live and work in peace. Do not let this challenges demoralize or stray you from your path.” Albayalde said.
Albayalde said earlier this week that he was already assembling a legal team to go after his accusers.
It can be recalled that during the Senate hearing, Former Police official Benjamin Magalong claimed that Albayalde sought to defer the dismissal order against his former subordinates.
Also, Retired police official Rudy Lacadin, later claimed that Albayalde called him up to inquire about the case regarding the so called “ninja cops” and allegedly admitted that some of the dr4g loot went to him but “only a little.”